If your body is feeling the strain from your hectic lifestyle, it might be time for a detox.
Many people equate the term detox with impossible juice-fasting, or painful medical procedures.
But there are may ways to help your body to detoxify that are simple and painless, leaving you feel refreshed and renewed.
Many of these are so simple, yet sometimes we all forget what it is our body needs to function correctly, and you will be surprised at how effective they are.
- Drink water. Yes, it seems simple, but so little of us actually get the 8 glasses of water a day that we need. Carry a liter bottle of water around with you, keep sipping and refill it 2-3 times during the day. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to give it a more interesting flavor.
- Mediate. This doesn’t mean having to go to classes, or lie in a dark room for hours on end, it can take as little as 5 minuted out of your day. Find somewhere quiet where you can relax and close your eyes. Use deep breathing to help you relax even more, or listen to relaxing music.
- Juice with some dandelion greens. These are great for getting rid of unwanted toxins and helping your kidney function at it’s full potential.
- Help clear out a clogged lymph system using a dry brush on the body. Dry brushing the body in a circular motion away from the heart helps stimulate your lymph nodes which are located in several different parts of the body. Rebounding (using a small trampoline) is also great for getting your juices flowing.
- Hydrotherapy. This is the practice of shocking the body using alternate hot and cold water. This can be done simply in the shower every morning. Before you get out, blast your body with cold water for 30 seconds, and repeat a couple of times. You will be surprised at how effective this simple trick is for waking you up and making you feel refreshed!
- Work out using the ancient Chinese art of qi gong. Qi qong uses a series of different body poses and breathing techniques to help the body achieve balance.
- Stretching. Stretching different muscles in the body is a surprisingly effective way of invigorating your body. As humans we tend to use the same muscle groups and don’t extend of our comfort zone, mainly due to laziness. Stretching those muscles that you don’t normally use kick starts your body into a more energetic mode.
- Try making a batch of bone broth. This is an old-fashioned type of stew using boiled animal bones. While it might not sound too appetizing, bone broth actually has many health benefits. It is rich in magnesium, calcium, amino acids, and is one of the cheapest ways to make a healthy meal, and boosts the immune system.
- Get away from the media. News and social media is such an ingrained part of all our lives now it seems almost impossible that you can survive without it. But you can! Only turn your phone on when you need to make a call, and don’t turn the tv on just for background noise.
- Sound Therapy. This can help you re-tune your hearing, as it can be affected from all of the constant noise we hear on a daily basis. Sound therapy classes are available, but if there are none near you, try listening to one of the many sound therapy videos on YouTube.
- Simply listening to your favourite songs, or songs that you know are uplifting can help change your mindset to a more positive one.
- Pet therapy. If you don’t have your own pet, go to visit a friend who has. Just spending 10-15 minutes with an animal can boost your mood. Walking a dog for a friend can give you an enormous sense of satisfaction.
- Try steam therapy. Ever noticed how good you feel when you come out of a sauna or a steam room after a gym session? Steaming the body releases toxins that are just under the surface of the skin. The hot temperatures literally steep the toxins out of the skin, and your body thanks you for this with a batch of endorphins.
- Use herbs to cleanse you body. Herbs are natures medicine and there are many different benefits from the different varieties of herbs. Some of the main benefits of herbs are, Rosemary will cure a cough, mint can settle an upset stomach, turmeric can help aching joints, and basil is a mood booster.
- Try a mini fast. Fasting has proven that it can aid the body by boosting the immune system, helping you feel more clear-headed and helping with wight loss. Try waiting until after lunch to eat instead of first thing and see how it makes you feel.
- Aromatherapy. This has been used for many years to help relax and restore the body and mind. Burning different oils can have a wonderful effect on your mind. Lavender is particularly good for combating stress.
- Oil pulling. This is the act of pulling toxins and waste from the body out of the membrane in the mouth. Try using coconut oil in the mouth for 20 minutes, then swill and brush.
- Use a foam roller on your body. A foam roller when used on certain parts of the body can alleviate stress, relax the muscles and release built up lactic acid.
- Massage your feet. The feet, as in acupuncture, and gateways to the rest of your body. Massaging a particular part of your foot can help release stress elsewhere in the body.
- Infared heat therapy. While this is a special type of treatment, if it is available to you, the effects can be very beneficial indeed. It is a special type of sauna that contains infared rays that activate the body’s major functions. Sweat from this sauna contain 17% more toxins than a normal sauna.
- Epsom salt bath. Epsom salts are really great for your whole body due the high magnesium content. It is sometimes hard for us to get as much magnesium into our body’s as we need through our diet, so taking an Epsom salt bath can really boost those waning levels.
- Get a dose of vitamin D. While sunbeds are dangerous when they are over-used, once in a while to boost your levels of vitamin D is actually a good idea. People living in areas where there isn’t that much sunshine can be lacking in vitamin D levels, which can cause a low mood.
- Oxygen therapy. You can attend special oxygen therapy classes which allow you to breathe in a greater amount of purer air than you would normal get, or there are simple breathing exercises you can do at home. Spend 10 minutes breathing deeply and filling your lungs with as much air as you can, even better if you are able to do this in the fresh air outside somewhere.