Bath salts are so renowned for their healing powers they have been used for thousands of years.
Epsom, and more recently Himalayan bath salts can do wonders for you in relieving everything from stress to skin problems.
When used together, Epsom bath salts and Himalayan salt have a magical effect. Epsom ‘salt’ is actually a compound with a salt like appearance, with high levels of sulphate and magnesium.
These two compounds act by drawing toxins from the body when submerged in a relaxing bath.
Sulphate and magnesium are two important minerals which are hard to be absorbed by the body through diet, therefore a salt bath is the perfect way for your body to absorb them.
Magnesium is key to many bodily processes, yet most people have a magnesium deficiency. Inflammation caused by a build up of calcium can be reversed by topping up your magnesium levels.
Himalayan salt is an ancient and extremely pure mineral. Due to its increased popularity it is also very cheap to buy, but if your crystals are large make sure you soak them for a decent amount of time (perhaps overnight) to allow them to dissolve into your bath properly.
Hailing from deep inside the earth, Himalayan salt is full of essential minerals and nutrients that are hard to come by in your diet alone.
The benefits of taking a salt bath include –
- draws toxins from the skin
- is absorbed through the whole body at once, leaving you refreshed and energized
- restores the pH balance in your body
- the antiseptic qualities can help skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
- helps sunburn and insect bite pain
- relaxed the muscles and eases joint pain
- helps premenstrual symptoms including muscle pain and headaches
- increases blood flow for better circulation
For a perfect salt bath, use about 2 cups for a regular sized bath. For a more specific amount if using Epsom salt, Dr David Jockers in ‘The Truth About Cancer’ suggests –
- Children under 60 lbs: ½ cup
- Individuals between 60-100 lbs: 1 cup
- Individuals between 100-150 lbs: 1½ cups
- Individuals between 150-200 lbs: 2 cups
- For every 50 lb more—add an additional ½ cup of salts
For the ultimate salt bath experience, use Epsom salt and Himalayan salt together.
Please note if you are pregnant, or have any open wounds to consult your doctor before partaking in this form of detox.