As we’ve discussed before, it can be really hard to determine what butter can be trusted.
Fortunately, we’re here to help you make your own – and if you’re like us, once you’ve had homemade butter, there will be no turning back!
Even better, you won’t need much – only two ingredients!
- 2 c heavy cream
- sea salt, to taste
- Pour your heavy cream into a food processor and work for 10 minutes, roughly, at which point it should be a thick whipped cream.
- Continue to work the cream in the processor. When it turns grainy and separates into butter and buttermilk, drain the buttermilk.
- Scrape butter from sides, place in clean bowl, and strain buttermilk off in a colander.
- Rinse butter gently with cold water, turning butter over with spoon under cold water until water runs off clear.
- Lastly, squeeze the last bit of liquid from your butter using wooden spoons or paddles to smash the butter; pour off any resultant liquid.
- This butter will keep for months.
- Chopped pecans and honey
- Coarsely ground black pepper and sea salt
- Crumbled feta cheese and chopped kalamata olives
- Grated Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil
- Grated ginger and sesame oil
- Lemon zest and snipped parsley
- Orange zest, chopped fresh, or dried cranberries and snipped fresh sage
- Orange zest, maple syrup, and blueberries
- Snipped fresh Thai basil, chopped garlic, and chopped, drained, pickled ginger
- Snipped fresh cilantro, lime zest, and Sriracha, or hot sauce